Art Gallery Of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Established in 1946
- Working Hours:
Monday - Saturday from 10:00AM to 8:00PM
- Contact phone: +387 33 266 551
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adress: Zelenih beretki 8, Sarajevo 71000, B&H
The Art Gallery of Bosnia and Herzegovina is the oldest, most significant and largest museum institution in the field of fine arts in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
It was established in 1946 and the corpus of the initial aggregation is the 600 piece collection of exhibits of the Gallery of the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Art Gallery of Bosnia and Herzegovina was first opened to the public in 1959, when it had already accumulated 2,200 works of art, mostly by artists from Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The Art Gallery of Bosnia and Herzegovina currently holds in excess of 6,000 exhibits, divided into several collections, a documentation centre and a specialized library, and its primary research focus is on the 20th century art in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
How to find
of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Neighborhoods of Sarajevo - Baščaršija
Neighborhoods of Sarajevo - Baščaršija We will start with today's bathing area Bentbaša, which was once known as medieval village of Brodac. The founder of Sarajevo, Isabeg Isaković thought this location was just perfect for establishing a city.
In Baščaršija, he builds Kolobara Han (Kolobara Inn), a hotel in modern terms, which was soon surrounded by a multitude of shops creating the economic basis for the development of the city. Kozja ćuprija bridge (Goat Bridge) was built upstream from the village of Brodac in the 16th century, and today is an easy, half hours walk from Bentbaša along the Dariva Street. Not much is known about Kozja ćuprija, but it is certain that everything came to town through it: armies, caravans, religions, cultures and influences.
There are two traditions about the origin of Kozja ćuprija.
According to the first legend, the bridge was built by the Romans, and the second claims it was built by Mehmed Paša in memory of his childhood when he was just a poor goat shepherd.
According to the legend, one of the goats in his care discovered the hidden treasure. Mehmed used it for his education, became elected to the rank of Pasha and constructed a bridge he called “Goat’s Bridge”. Another permanent stamp was left by Gazi Husrev Beg (Gazi Husrev Bey), the conqueror of Belgrade, the irreplaceable warrior in campaigns of Suleiman the Magnificent, triple Bosnian Steward and Builder. In 1530, with his own money, he built the most monumental building of Islamic culture in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the largest sacral object of Islamic architecture in this part of the world, Gazi Husrev Beg Mosque, sitting on the right bank of the river Miljacka.
Bey Mosque, together with mekteb, wudu inn, two octagonal mausoleums and the clock tower building is the central and largest complex of the “čaršija”, and has had a significant influence on all construction activities in the city.
It is also the first mosque in the world to install electrical lighting.
More on www.visitsarajevo.ba/bascarsija/
You May Also Visit
Stay in touch with lovely Sarajevo?
Follow us to receive the latest update on your journey experience