The Jewish Museum
The Jewish Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is housed in the oldest synagogue in BiH built in 1581.
- Working Hours:
Monday - Friday from 10:00AM to 4:00PM
Sunday from 10AM to 1PM
- Contact phone: +387 33 535 688
- Contact email: email@example.com
- Adress: Velika avlija Laure Papo Bahorete, Sarajevo 71000
By entering the Synagogue, you enter a different protected world
The Jewish Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is situated in the former Old Jewish Temple, the oldest synagogue in BiH, built in 1581. The building is considered one of the most beautiful exhibition spaces in all of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The first exhibition was held in 1966, also marking 400 years since the arrival of the Sephardic Jews to the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The oldest and the most valuable museum piece is the Silver Tas or the Torah Shield. A special collection of the Museum is dedicated to the suffering of Jews during World War II. The Book of Suffering - a huge book with the names of 12,000 Jews killed during this period, 6,000 from the area of Sarajevo and 6,000 from the rest of Bosnia and Herzegovina, hangs from the ceiling. Among the documents are the names of the Righteous Among the Nations, citizens of BiH who rescued Jews during World War II.
Indeed, by entering the Synagogue, you enter a different, protected world that testifies to the long-standing presence of Jews in the territory of BiH and the contribution they have made to the development of this country. It is reflected in all segments and especially in the development of science and art. Special attention was paid to tell the story of the suffering of Jews during the Second World War.
How to find
The Jewish Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is housed in the oldest synagogue in BiH built in 1581, which according to a large number of experts was the most beautiful exhibition space on the territory of the entire former Yugoslavia.
Neighborhoods of Sarajevo - Baščaršija
We will start with today's bathing area Bentbaša, which was once known as medieval village of Brodac. The founder of Sarajevo, Isabeg Isaković thought this location was just perfect for establishing a city.
In Baščaršija, he builds Kolobara Han (Kolobara Inn), a hotel in modern terms, which was soon surrounded by a multitude of shops creating the economic basis for the development of the city. Kozja ćuprija bridge (Goat Bridge) was built upstream from the village of Brodac in the 16th century, and today is an easy, half hours walk from Bentbaša along the Dariva Street. Not much is known about Kozja ćuprija, but it is certain that everything came to town through it: armies, caravans, religions, cultures and influences.
There are two traditions about the origin of Kozja ćuprija.
According to the first legend, the bridge was built by the Romans, and the second claims it was built by Mehmed Paša in memory of his childhood when he was just a poor goat shepherd.
According to the legend, one of the goats in his care discovered the hidden treasure. Mehmed used it for his education, became elected to the rank of Pasha and constructed a bridge he called “Goat’s Bridge”. Another permanent stamp was left by Gazi Husrev Beg (Gazi Husrev Bey), the conqueror of Belgrade, the irreplaceable warrior in campaigns of Suleiman the Magnificent, triple Bosnian Steward and Builder. In 1530, with his own money, he built the most monumental building of Islamic culture in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the largest sacral object of Islamic architecture in this part of the world, Gazi Husrev Beg Mosque, sitting on the right bank of the river Miljacka.
Bey Mosque, together with mekteb, wudu inn, two octagonal mausoleums and the clock tower building is the central and largest complex of the “čaršija”, and has had a significant influence on all construction activities in the city.
It is also the first mosque in the world to install electrical lighting.
More on www.visitsarajevo.ba/bascarsija/
You May Also Visit
Stay in touch with lovely Sarajevo?
Follow us to receive the latest update on your journey experience