National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Founded in 1888, the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is the oldest western-style cultural and scientific institution in the country.
- Working Hours:
Tuesday to Friday: 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Weekends: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
The museum is closed on Mondays
- Contact phone: +387 33 668-027
- Contact email: email@example.com
- Adress: Zmaja od Bosne 3, 71000 Sarajevo, B&H
Collections: Archeology, Ethology, Natural Sciences
Founded in 1888, the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is the oldest western-style cultural and scientific institution in the country. The idea of establishing a museum goes back to the mid-19th century, to a time when Bosnia and Herzegovina was still a part of the Ottoman Empire as the Eyalet of Bosnia. Yet it would take four decades and a change of government for the idea to be realised. In 1878, the Eyalet of Bosnia was occupied by the Austro-Hungarians, who brought with them new political and social goals, customs, and values. These included the furthering of science through research and academic and institutional development.
As an uncharted Balkan country, Bosnia and Herzegovina piqued the interest of many Austro-Hungarian scholars, but also pseudo-scholars and treasure hunters. As a result, many cultural artefacts were taken out of the country. This sped up the realisation of the idea to establish a museum, which had long been brewing. The Museum Society was established first, then the National Museum itself, on 1 February 1888. The provincial government, as the founder, named government advisor Kosta Hörmann as the director of the museum.
How to find
National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina
The original museum facilities in the town centre soon became inadequate for the growing collection, and so in 1909 construction began for a new museum complex comprising four pavilions and a botanic garden. The facility was completed and inaugurated in 1913. It would long remain the only purpose-built museum complex in the former Yugoslavia. It houses the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina to this day.
Neighborhoods of Sarajevo - Baščaršija
We will start with today's bathing area Bentbaša, which was once known as medieval village of Brodac. The founder of Sarajevo, Isabeg Isaković thought this location was just perfect for establishing a city.
In Baščaršija, he built Kolobara Han (Kolobara Inn), a hotel in modern terms, which was soon surrounded by a multitude of shops creating the economic basis for the development of the city. Kozja ćuprija bridge (Goat Bridge) was built upstream from the village of Brodac in the 16th century, and today is an easy, half hours walk from Bentbaša along the Dariva Street. Not much is known about Kozja ćuprija, but it is certain that everything came to town through it: armies, caravans, religions, cultures and influences.
In the night between August 25 and 26, 1992, City Hall was hit by flammable artillery missiles. The fire destroyed the City Hall, together with the huge library fund of the National-University Library of about 2 million units. The renovation of the City Hall starts in 1996 and lasts until 2014, and the complete reconstruction has been done according to the original documentation.
There are two traditions about the origin of Kozja ćuprija.
According to the first legend, the bridge was built by the Romans, and the second claims it was built by Mehmed Paša in memory of his childhood when he was just a poor goat shepherd.
According to the legend, one of the goats in his care discovered the hidden treasure. Mehmed used it for his education, became elected to the rank of Pasha and constructed a bridge he called “Goat’s Bridge”. Another permanent stamp was left by Gazi Husrev Beg (Gazi Husrev Bey), the conqueror of Belgrade, the irreplaceable warrior in campaigns of Suleiman the Magnificent, triple Bosnian Steward and Builder. In 1530, with his own money, he built the most monumental building of Islamic culture in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the largest sacral object of Islamic architecture in this part of the world, Gazi Husrev Beg Mosque, sitting on the right bank of the river Miljacka.
Bey Mosque, together with mekteb, wudu inn, two octagonal mausoleums and the clock tower building is the central and largest complex of the “čaršija”, and has had a significant influence on all construction activities in the city.
It is also the first mosque in the world to install electrical lighting.
More on www.visitsarajevo.ba/bascarsija/
You May Also Visit
Stay in touch with lovely Sarajevo?
Follow us to receive the latest update on your journey experience