Trebević cable car, in Sarajevo's jargon known as funicular, was officially opened on May 3, 1959, connecting Bistrik (583 meters above sea level) with Vidikovac on Trebević (1160 meters above sea level).
- Working Hours:
from 9:00 to 19:00 h
- Contact phone: +387 33 548 704
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adress: Hrvatin bb, 71000 Sarajevo, B&H
Connecting Bistrik with Vidikovac on Trebević
Trebević cable car, in Sarajevo's jargon known as funicular, was officially opened on May 3, 1959, connecting Bistrik (583 meters above sea level) with Vidikovac on Trebević (1160 meters above sea level). A large number of citizens, who "occupied" the base station and the sloping streets over which it was passing, were attended by the launching of the cable car.
The lower station was located in the Avdage Šahinagića street (at that time Dimitrija Tucovića street), across the Sarajevo City Hall, at an altitude of 583 meters a.s.l., and came to upper station Vidikovac on Trebević at 1160 meters a.s.l. The difference in elevation was over 500 meters and the distance between two stations was 2070 meters.
After closing in 1989, Trebević Cable Car was reconstructed between 2017 and 2018, and officially reopened on 6 April 2018. A total of 33 modern cable cars make up the new system, which can transport up to 1,200 passengers from the city to Trebević per hour, with a ride duration of nine minutes each way.Mufid Garibija, the designer of the Trebević cable railway station and the starting station, said that the entire lane would be panoramic, and the stations and gondolas would dominate the glass, which would contribute to the enjoyment of visitors in view of Sarajevo. "Gondolas will be in the colors of the Olympic circles and will reflect the unity and multi-ethnicity of Sarajevo," said Garibija.
How to find
Trebević Cable Car was first built in 1959, and opened for the public on 3 May 1959. It had a capacity of 400 passengers per hour. However, the many years of operation and repairs took a toll on the cable car which resulted in serious problems, so much so that the relevant institutions forbade further repairs of the cable car. Such issues arose in 1977, 1982, 1986, 1987, and in particular on 18 November 1989, when further repairs of the cable car was banned by the Institute "ZRMK" from Ljubljana.During the Bosnian War (1992–1995), the cable car was completely destroyed.
Neighborhoods of Sarajevo - Baščaršija
We will start with today's bathing area Bentbaša, which was once known as medieval village of Brodac. The founder of Sarajevo, Isabeg Isaković thought this location was just perfect for establishing a city.
In Baščaršija, he builds Kolobara Han (Kolobara Inn), a hotel in modern terms, which was soon surrounded by a multitude of shops creating the economic basis for the development of the city. Kozja ćuprija bridge (Goat Bridge) was built upstream from the village of Brodac in the 16th century, and today is an easy, half hours walk from Bentbaša along the Dariva Street. Not much is known about Kozja ćuprija, but it is certain that everything came to town through it: armies, caravans, religions, cultures and influences.
There are two traditions about the origin of Kozja ćuprija.
According to the first legend, the bridge was built by the Romans, and the second claims it was built by Mehmed Paša in memory of his childhood when he was just a poor goat shepherd.
According to the legend, one of the goats in his care discovered the hidden treasure. Mehmed used it for his education, became elected to the rank of Pasha and constructed a bridge he called “Goat’s Bridge”. Another permanent stamp was left by Gazi Husrev Beg (Gazi Husrev Bey), the conqueror of Belgrade, the irreplaceable warrior in campaigns of Suleiman the Magnificent, triple Bosnian Steward and Builder. In 1530, with his own money, he built the most monumental building of Islamic culture in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the largest sacral object of Islamic architecture in this part of the world, Gazi Husrev Beg Mosque, sitting on the right bank of the river Miljacka.
Bey Mosque, together with mekteb, wudu inn, two octagonal mausoleums and the clock tower building is the central and largest complex of the “čaršija”, and has had a significant influence on all construction activities in the city.
It is also the first mosque in the world to install electrical lighting.
More on www.visitsarajevo.ba/bascarsija/
You May Also Visit
Stay in touch with lovely Sarajevo?
Follow us to receive the latest update on your journey experience